Registration for the Pikachu Cup has now officially opened and will remain open until August 20th, with the tournament itself taking place immediately after registration closes until August 23rd.
The Pikachu Cup requires all Pokémon on the players team to be at least partially Electric-type, though Zapdos, Raikou, Arceus, Thundurus, and Zekrom are not allowed on any team. Additionally, depending on how often Pikachu (NOT counting Cosplay Pikachu) is used on teams, the rewards for the tournament will be better.
If Pikachu is from the 1st to the 3rd most used Pokémon in everyone's team, all eligible players will receive a Special Pikachu; if Pikachu is from the 4th to 12th most used Pokémon in everyone's team, all eligible players will receive a Light Ball; otherwise, all eligible players receive 1,000 Poké Miles. To become eligible, you need to participate in three complete battles, regardless of whether you win or lose.
Since there's no greater prize for winning rather than losing, other than bragging rights, it makes sense to put Pikachu on your team just to help improve your chances of getting a really cool prize.
A brief summary of the rules can be found below, though you'll want to consult the official rules for full details:
- Everyone can fight in up to 15 battles per day, and any battles that weren't fought can be carried over to future days of the tournament.
- Each battle is a Double Battle, where four out of the six Pokémon on your team can be used, after Team Preview (similar to the Video Game Championship series rules).
- Pokémon whose level is higher than level 50 will be reduced to level 50 during the tournament.
- Only Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire may take place in the battles, though Pokémon from X or Y, in addition to Pokémon transferred from previous Pokémon games via Poké Transporter are allowed on teams.
- All Pokémon on each player's team must be at least partially Electric-type.
- Zapdos, Raikou, Arceus (Zap Plate), Thundurus, and Zekrom cannot be used.