As soon as you enter Virbank City, you'll receive a call from your mother. She'll tell you about the Virbank Complex to the south of town. But that's about it.
Before you head on over to the Gym, why not take a moment to explore the sights in Virbank City?Then, when you walk over to the Pokemon Center, you'll see a girl and a man with a cap having a discussion. He wants his daughter, Roxie, to be a movie star like he is, but she wants to be in a band instead. It turns out she's the Gym Leader, too. Sounds like they have some issues. Anyway, she heads back to her Gym to rock out some more.
- There's a Poke Toy in one of the houses on the northern side of town that has an Audino dancing around in it. That can be used to run away from any wild Pokemon fight, but it is used up afterwards.
- You can find a hidden stairway just south of that house with the Poke Toy. See where there are stairs leading down to the water? Well, there's actually a stairway parallel to that one behind those buildings. You can follow that path all the way to the end to find what appears to be a dead end, but there is actually a Pearl hiding there (you'll have to press A while facing one step away from the wall at the dead end).
- The Gym can be found on the southern part of town. It's a very slim, narrow building with a flashing purple light outside of it. There's a Roughneck there that will give you a Great Ball in exchange for a Poke Ball if you talk to him. He'll trade you once per day.
- The big single-level house in the southwest corner of the city has a Teacher inside that will give you a Burn Heal for talking to her. The trash can directly outside of that house also has an Antidote for you to pick up if you press A on it.
- The northern gate to the Pokestar Studios is blocked off for now.
- There's a harbor in the southeast side of town, but it's empty and you're not going to be able to use it for a little bit, still.
As you can see, there's some stuff to do here, but nothing terribly exciting. You can actually take on the Gym right away, but you're best off getting some extra battles in down at the Virbank Complex to the south of town, so make sure you're stocked up on Poke Balls and your Pokemon are fully healed, then head on down there.