Are you ready to revisit the second generation of Pokémon with the Johto Classic competition? The first 251 Pokémon in the National Pokédex may be used, with the exception of Mewtwo, Mew, Ho-Oh, Lugia, and Celebi.
Anyone with a wireless internet connection, a Pokémon Trainer Club membership, and Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire may participate.
Two Age Divisions
Junior/Senior Division: Born from 2001 onward. This division is limited to play only from 6:00AM to 11:00PM in their country's most eastern time zone.
Masters Division: Born in 2000 or earlier.
The rules of the Johto Classic, taken directly from Pokémon Global Link's website, are as follows:
• This competition uses Single Battle format.
• Players may use Pokémon with National Pokédex number 1 through 251, with the exception of the following: Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-Oh, and Celebi.
• Pokémon brought over from Pokémon Black, Pokémon White, Pokémon Black 2, or Pokémon White 2 via Poké Transporter may participate in this competition.
• Register six of your Lv. 1–100 Pokémon to your Battle Box.
• All Pokémon above Lv. 50 in this competition will automatically become Lv. 50 for the duration of each match.
• Three of the Pokémon you register to your Battle Box may be used during each match.
• Mega Stones are not allowed.
• A 60-minute time limit for each match will automatically be enforced in-game, beginning at the start of each battle. If the outcome has not been determined when the time limit expires, the game will automatically apply tiebreakers to determine a winner.
• At the beginning of each battle, players have 60 seconds to select three Pokémon with which to battle.
• At the beginning of each turn, players have 60 seconds to select a move or change the Pokémon in battle. If a player has not made his or her selections at the end of this period, the game will automatically make selections for the player.
• Players may battle up to 10 games per day of the competition. Any unplayed games will carry over to the following day. A new day begins at 00:00 UTC.
Begins: Thursday, May 19th, at 7:00PM EST / 6:00PM CST / 4:00PM PST / 00:00AM UTC.
Ends: Thursday, May 26th, at 6:59PM EST / 5:59PM CST / 3:59PM PST / 23:59PM UTC.
Begins: Friday, May 27th, 7:00PM EST / 6:00PM CST / 4:00PM PST / 00:00AM UTC.
Ends: Sunday, May 29th, at 6:59PM EST / 5:59PM CST / 3:59PM PST / 23:59PM UTC.
The results will be announced in June of 2016. Qualified participants — those who have completed at least three battles — will receive a special Pokémon that has yet to be announced.
Are you planning on competing in the Johto Classic? Let us know in the comments below!